Utah Call to Action
Sunday, March11, 2012
A bill has been passed by the Utah State Legislature which adds the use of
electronic cigarettes to the definition of smoking in the Utah Clean Indoor Air Act.
It has passed the full House and full Senate, and has gone to the Governor of
Utah to be signed into law.
Please call, write, or fax Governor Herbert.
Governor Gary Herbert
Utah State Capitol Complex
350 North State Street, Suite 200
PO Box 142220
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-2220
Toll Free: 800-705-2464
Email: Contact form
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gary-R-Herbert/211722425515547
What to say:
1. Ask him to VETO HB 245, and send it back to the legislature to be amended to
remove smoke-free electronic cigarettes.
2. Tell your story on how switching to an e-cigarette or smokeless tobacco has
changed your life.
3. Explain how electronic cigarette use is easy to distinguish from actual
smoking. Although some e-cigarettes resemble real cigarettes, many do not. It is
easy to tell when someone lights a cigarette, from the smell of smoke. E-cigarette
vapor is practically odorless, and generally any detectable odor is not unpleasant
and smells nothing like smoke.
4. Let him know that vapor does not behave in the same manner as smoke.
There is no "side stream" vapor like the side stream smoke coming from the lit
end of a cigarette. There is also no ash or litter. With so little evidence of use,
enforcing indoor use bans on electronic cigarettes would be nearly impossible.
5. Inform him that the ability to use electronic cigarettes in public spaces will
actually improve public health by inspiring other smokers to switch. Surveys of
thousands of users indicate that the majority of those who switch, completely
replace tobacco cigarettes with the electronic cigarettes, reducing their health
risks by 98-99%.
6. Tell him that by switching to a smokeless product, you have greatly reduced
your health risks.
7. Direct him to the CASAA.org website for more information.