state call to actioN
Spread the word!
COLORADO – Stop Local Flavor Bans!
02.20.24 – Senate: Third Reading of Bills – Final Passage
02.16.24 – Senate Second Reading Passed with Amendments – Floor
02.08.24 – Senate Committee on Local Government & Housing Refer Amended to Senate Committee of the Whole
02.08.24 – HEARING – S. Local Government and Housing Cmte. Upon Adjournment of the Senate, Room SCR 352
01.10.24 – Introduction and referred to Senate Cmte on Local Government and Housing.
SB 22 would allow county boards of commissioners to ban the sale of vapor and all nicotine products in flavors other than tobacco. Currently, local governments must adhere to statewide regulations, or otherwise not impose stricter tobacco and nicotine laws than the state. If passed, SB 22 would give a green light to activist groups that are working to create a patchwork of anti-nicotine and anti-harm reduction policies around Colorado.
This bill received a hearing in the Senate Committee on Local Government and Housing on Thursday, February 8, 2024. SB 22 is scheduled for a third reading in the Senate on Tuesday, February 20, 2024, before advancing to the House for hearings and votes.
Advocates in Colorado are encouraged to contact lawmakers and share opposition to SB 22. You can do so by using the form on this page to send your message. Remember to add your story about switching to vaping or another smoke-free product and why this issue is important to you (talking points are below if you need some help).
- Urge your lawmakers to oppose SB 22 which would allow county governments to restrict your ability to use low-risk alternatives to smoking and send people back to smoking or to buy their vapor products from informal sources.
- Let them know you are also opposed to allowing activist groups to create a patchwork of tobacco regulations in Colorado that promotes illicit sales and confusion among consumers and businesses.
- SB 22 would lead to a patchwork of bans on flavored products already authorized for sale by the FDA as less harmful than smoking and appropriate for the protection of public health.
- Briefly, share your story about switching to vaping and what role that flavors play in helping you live smoke free.
- Note any health changes you’ve experienced.
- Briefly, discuss what losing access to a local supply of vapor products will mean for you (Will you shop out-of-state, in neighboring cities, or online? Will you make your own e-liquid at home or purchase products on an underground market?).
- Be brief, Be kind, and Say Thank You 🙂