Local call to actioN
Spread the word!
Edgewater, CO – [Concluded-Passed] Stop a Flavor Ban!
08/03/21 – Council Votes 6-0 to approve the flavor ban.
07/20/21 – Public Hearing
The Edgewater City Council approved by unanimous vote (6-0) an ordinance to ban the sale of flavored nicotine and tobacco products–including menthol.
The flavor ban takes effect on November 1, 2021.
While the new ordinance will step up enforcement with more compliance checks and wisely eliminate criminalising purchase, use, possession by minors, banning flavored products that are safer alternatives to smoking for millions of people is a step too far.
- State that you are opposed to the flavor ban in Ordinance 2021-13 and any other legislation that would ban safer alternatives to smoking.
- Share your experience with switching to smoke-free alternatives, like vaping, and any changes to your health since you quit smoking.
- Remind council members that recent research shows that a flavor ban in San Francisco led to an increase in smoking among young people. (Here’s the study by Abigail Friedman, from Yale.)
- Discuss what role, if any, flavors have in helping you live smoke-free. Sharing which flavor finally convinced you to ditch cigarettes is a good place to start.
- Be brief, be kind, and say Thank You! 🙂
This engagement is concluded
Residents can still contact Edgewater City Council Members to express concerns and objections to the flavor ban:
Mayor Laura Keegan
Councilor Steve Conklin
Councilor Caleb Rountree
Councilor Casey Earp
Councilor Cory Reid-Vanas
Councilor Hannah Gay Keao
Councilor John Beltrone
Councilor Micha Rosenoer
Comma delimited email list:
LKeegan@EdgewaterCO.com, SConklin@EdgewaterCO.com, CRountree@EdgewaterCO.com, CEarp@EdgewaterCO.com, CReid-Vanas@EdgewaterCO.com, HGayKeao@EdgewaterCO.com, JBeltrone@EdgewaterCO.com, MRosenoer@EdgewaterCO.com