local call to action
Spread the word!
Kansas City, Missouri – [Concluded] Stop a Flavor Ban
As of July 15, Ordinance 200937, a flavor ban, is being “held off the docket” and added to the council’s “semi-annual” or “six-month docket.” The bill is still alive and may be brought back to a meeting in the future.
Finance, Government, and Public Safety Committee 10:30 AM
06/02 – 06/09/21
Ordinance 200937 is scheduled for a work session in the Finance, Government, and Public Safety Committee on Wednesday, June 2. This committee will meet to consider the ordinance on the following Wednesday, June 9. (See the alert below for details on sending your comments to the committee)
On Wednesday, December 16, an amendment to the proposed ban on sales of all flavored tobacco and nicotine products failed to pass in committee by a vote of 4 – 2. For the time being, this ordinance is on hold until next year, and advocates are advised to stay engaged with local officials. We expect to see this come up again on an agenda for January 6, 2021.
Thank you to all who participated in the effort to stop this dangerous law in 2020!
Stay tuned, 2021 is just around the corner.
Following some discussion and reviewing comments from local business owners, Kansas City’s flavor ban ordinance is being held on the agenda for a future meeting. According to the bill page on the Kansas City website, the next meeting will happen on December 16. We will update this alert as more details become available.
A committee meeting is scheduled for
Wednesday, December 2, 2020
9:00 AM (Live streaming and archive)
This is only a meeting and no oral testimony will be taken.
A hearing is scheduled for:
Wednesday, November 4 at 9:30 AM on the 26th Floor, Council Chamber.
All Kansas City members are encouraged to attend this hearing either in person or remotely. If you wish to comment on this ordinance, you can show up at the hearing, testify by phone, or send a message by filling out the form on this page. All messages are sent to email@example.com and we’ll make sure your city council person receives a copy.
To present spoken testimony, prior to the hearing contact:
Phone: (816) 513 6515
To join the hearing:
Join by Phone +1 872-212-5076 (Dial-in Number)
Conference ID: 788795948
“Those who wish to comment on proposed ordinances can attend or, send testimony to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Comments received will be distributed to the Finance committee and added to the public record by the clerk.”
The discussion about a flavor ban continue in the Kansas City, Missouri City Council as an ordinance that would ban the sale of flavored vapor products and other smoke-free nicotine and tobacco products will be brought up at another committee meeting this week.
- Finance, Government, and Public Safety Committee
- Wednesday, June 16, 2021
- 10:30 AM.
Please take a moment to send a message to your council member urging them to oppose the flavor ban. Fill out the form to the side, or below, and customize your message to include your experience with switching to vaping.
- State that you are opposed to Ordinance 200937 and any other legislation that would ban safer alternatives to smoking.
- Share your experience with switching to smoke-free alternatives, like vaping, and any changes to your health since you quit smoking.
- Remind council members that research published since this proposal was tabled in December shows that a flavor ban in San Francisco led to an increase in smoking among young people. (Here’s the study by Abigail Friedman, from Yale.)
- Discuss what role, if any, flavors have in helping you live smoke-free. Sharing which flavor finally convinced you to ditch cigarettes is a good place to start.
- Be brief, be kind, and say Thank You! 🙂
1) View the Live Stream on the City Website: Click Here To Watch The Meeting
2) View the Meeting via Zoom: Click Here to Join the Zoom Meeting
Or join by phone: Dial (for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): US: +1 929 205 6099
or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 669 900 6833 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 2487799
Webinar ID: 845 3022 2968
Take Action Now!
make sure to customize your comment!