state call to actioN
Spread the word!
Maryland – [Concluded] Stop a Flavor Ban (HB 134)
HB 134, a flavor ban, is scheduled for a public hearing on
Wednesday, February 10, 1:30 PM
Committee on Economic Matters
(ZOOM – See “Witness Signup…” for more details)
*NOTE* – The number of speakers in opposition to this bill is limited to 20. The maximum number of speakers allowed is 50. If you are not accepted to testify, there will still be opportunities to contact your lawmakers. Any time is a good time to share concerns with your elected officials!
Points to include in your comments, phone calls, and spoken testimony:
- Urge your representative to reject HB 134, which would restrict your ability to use low-risk alternatives to smoking.
- Briefly, share your story about switching to vaping and what role that flavors play in helping you live smoke free.
- Note any health changes you’ve experienced.
- Briefly, discuss what losing access to a local supply of vapor products will mean for you (Will you shop out-of-state, in neighboring cities, or online? Will you make your own e-liquid at home or purchase products on an underground market?).
- Be brief, Be kind, and Say Thank You 🙂
- You will need to have a “My MGA” account in order to submit testimony and/or sign up to speak at the hearing. If you don’t have one, it’s free; click here to create a “My MGA” account.
- Oral testimony is limited to 3 minutes.
- Witness sign up and testimony upload begin at 10:00am two business days prior to the bill hearing and close at 3:00pm that same day.
Signup for the Feb. 10 meeting will be open on:
- Monday, Feb. 8 – 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM
- Written testimony and/or requesting to speak during the hearing is ONLY ACCEPTED DURING THIS TIME. E–mailed or faxed testimony will not be accepted prior to the bill hearing.
- The ZOOM link for the hearing will be sent on Tuesday, Feb. 9, via email.
Uploading Written Testimony
- File names on testimony must include the bill number and the name of the organization and/or person testifying, such as “HB0135_PSC_Smith.pdf”. It may be helpful to include a position or other explanation after the name, such as FAV, UNF, FWA, INFO, or AMD.
- The Committee is no longer able to accept written testimony in advance.
- Late testimony will not be shared with the Committee until the next Committee work day.