SUGGESTED TALKING POINTS
- Briefly, share your story about switching to vapor products. Be sure to mention the role, if any, that the variety of flavored vapor products played in your transition. It would also be helpful to mention your first exposure to e-cigarettes; did you purchase a product from a convenience store or gas station or did you instinctively know to go to a specialty vapor store?
- Surveys confirm that adult consumers prefer flavors other than traditional tobacco and menthol, including the largest ever survey (>60,000 people) of people who vape in the U.S. submitted by Dr. Farsalinos to the FDA docket on flavors regulation (Regulations.gov, ID: FDA-2017-N-6565-22941, Tracking No. 1k2-94dd-bdy4).
- Flavors are an important aspect of vapor products as they help people who are quitting smoking disassociate nicotine consumption from inhaling smoke and the taste of burning tobacco.
- Prohibiting flavor options creates a barrier to becoming smoke free and, as a result, many people will actually be encouraged to continue smoking instead of making the switch to a product that is estimated to be 99% less hazardous than smoking.
- Sales of flavored smoke-free tobacco and nicotine products should not be restricted to adult-only or specialty retailers. It is important that people who smoke are able to see safer alternatives to smoking in retail environments where they normally purchase cigarettes.