the state of
State Legislative Info
Looking for the
Join your state's Facebook group!
Share news, events, and upcoming legislation with other members near you
current laws & taxes
regulating smokeless tobacco & vapor products
9 tips for being an advocate
with national calls to action
Find Your Legislators
Rhode Island LAWS & TAXES
- Sales and distribution of vapor products to persons under 18 years of age is prohibited.1,2
- Purchase and public possession/use of vapor products by persons under 18 years of age is prohibited.1,3
- A retail license or permit is required to sell vapor products.4
- Possession of vapor products by visitors is prohibited in all Rhode Island Department of Corrections facilities.5
- Schools must prohibit the on-premises use of vapor products.6
- Rhode Island’s Clean Indoor Air Act has been amended to prohibit the use of vapor products where smoking is prohibited.7
Tobacco/Vapor 21 Law: Federal law passed December 20, 2019 prohibits sales of all tobacco and vapor products to anyone under the age of 21 years old. FDA stated law became effective on that date. States may choose to continue with current age law at the risk of losing federal funding. Barrington and Central Falls already prohibit the sale of tobacco and vapor products to persons under the age of 21 years old.
Flavor Bans: Federal law prohibits the sale of closed system devices (pods, cartridges) containing e-liquid in flavors other than tobacco or menthol.
A STATEWIDE flavor ban (excluding tobacco flavor) is in effect as of March 26, 2020.10
Municipalities with their own ban are Barrington, Central Falls, Johnston, Middletown, Providence and Woonsocket prohibit the sale of flavored tobacco except for certain types of retailers, such as tobacco retailers that receive a certain proportion of their revenue from tobacco, tobacco/smoking bars, e-cigarette establishments, adult-only retailers and/or liquor stores.9
- Vapor products do not have an additional state excise tax.
- Smoke-free tobacco is taxed at a rate of 80% of the wholesale price.8
- Rhode Island Statutes – Title 11 Section 11-9-13
- Rhode Island Statutes – Title 11 Section 11-9-13.8
- Rhode Island Statutes – Title 11 Section 11-9-14
- Rhode Island Statutes – Title 23 Section 23-1-56
- Rhode Island State Archives
- Rhode Island S 0402 – An Act Relating to Criminal Offenses – Children
- Tobacco Free Rhode Island – Local Tobacco Control Ordinances & Policies
- Sales Tax Handbook – Rhode Island Tobacco Excise Taxes
- Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids – States & Localities that have Restricted the Sale of Flavored Tobacco Products
- Rhode Island Department of State – Licensing of Electronic Nicotine-Delivery System Distributors and Dealers