the state of
State Legislative Info
Looking for the
Join your state's Facebook group!
Share news, events, and upcoming legislation with other members near you
current laws & taxes
regulating smokeless tobacco & vapor products
9 tips for being an advocate
with national calls to action
North Dakota CALLS TO ACTION
SB 2190 would ban remote sales (online or mail-order) of ALL tobacco and nicotine products that aren’t approved as therapies. The deadline for written testimony or requesting to speak at the hearing is
7:30 AM, January 20 (day of).
Find Your Legislators
North Dakota LAWS & TAXES
- It is an infraction for any person to sell or furnish to a minor, or procure for a person under 18 years of age, cigarettes, cigarette papers, cigars, snuff, tobacco in any other form in which it may be utilized for smoking or chewing, electronic smoking devices, or alternative nicotine products.1
- It is a noncriminal offense for a minor to purchase, possess, smoke, or use cigarettes, cigars, cigarette papers, snuff, tobacco in any other form in which it may be utilized for smoking or chewing, electronic smoking devices, or alternative nicotine products.1
- Any nicotine liquid container that is sold at retail in this state must satisfy the child-resistant effectiveness standards.1
- North Dakota’s Smoke-Free Law has been amended to prohibit the use of vapor products where smoking is prohibited.2
Tobacco/Vapor 21 Law: Federal law passed December 20, 2019 prohibits sales of all tobacco and vapor products to anyone under the age of 21 years old. FDA stated law became effective on that date. States may choose to continue with current age law at the risk of losing federal funding. Bismark already prohibits sales to persons under 21 years old.
Flavor Bans: Federal law prohibits the sale of closed system devices (pods, cartridges) containing e-liquid in flavors other than tobacco or menthol.
- Smoke-free chewing tobacco & snuff are subject to a state excise tax of 16¢ to 60¢ per ounce.3
- Vapor products do not have an additional state excise tax.