the state of
State Legislative Info
Looking for the
Join your state's Facebook group!
Share news, events, and upcoming legislation with other members near you
current laws & taxes
regulating smokeless tobacco & vapor products
9 tips for being an advocate
with national calls to action
Find Your Legislators
South Carolina LAWS & TAXES
- Sale or distribution of vapor products to persons under 18 years of age is prohibited.1
- The purchase and possession of of vapor products by persons under 18 years of age is prohibited.1
- Internet sales of vapor products require age verification through an independent, third-party age verification service that the person is over 18 years of age.1
- Use of vapor products is prohibited in ambulances.2
- South Carolina’s Clean Indoor Air Act has not been amended to prohibit the use of vapor products where smoking is prohibited.
The following municipalities have ordinances that prohibit vaping where smoking is prohibited (some exclude bars and restaurants): Columbia, Denmark, Estill, Hartsville, Inman, West Pelzer, Yemassee3
- Online sales require age verification via a third party service. This requirement could cause many out-of-state online retailers to refuse to ship to the state.5
Tobacco/Vapor 21 Law: Federal law passed December 20, 2019 prohibits sales of all tobacco and vapor products to anyone under the age of 21 years old. FDA stated law became effective on that date. States may choose to continue with current age law at the risk of losing federal funding.
Flavor Bans: Federal law prohibits the sale of closed system devices (pods, cartridges) containing e-liquid in flavors other than tobacco or menthol.
- Vapor products do not have an additional state excise tax.
- Smoke-free tobacco products are taxed t a rate of 5% of the wholesale cost.4
- South Carolina Code of Laws – Chapter 17 – Article 1 – Section 16-17-10
- South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control – Regulation 61-7 Emergency Medical Services
- Wikipedia – List of vaping bans in the United States
- Sales Tax Handbook – South Carolina Tobacco Excise Taxes
- South Carolina Code of Laws Title 16 – Crimes and Offenses CHAPTER 17 – OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC POLICY Section 16-17-500