the state of
State Legislative Info
Looking for the
Join your state's Facebook group!
Share news, events, and upcoming legislation with other members near you
current laws & taxes
regulating smokeless tobacco & vapor products
9 tips for being an advocate
with national calls to action
Wisconsin CALLS TO ACTION
Find Your Legislators
Wisconsin LAWS & TAXES
- The sale and/or distribution of nicotine products to persons under age 18 is prohibited.1
- The purchase and/or possession of nicotine products by persons under age 18 and purchase for persons under 18 is prohibited.2
- Vaping is prohibited at indoor facilities of State Fair and at main stage area.3
- Wisconsin’s Clean Indoor Air Act has not been amended to prohibit the use of vapor products where smoking is prohibited.
The following municipalities have ordinances that prohibit vaping where smoking is prohibited (some exclude bars and restaurants or vape/tobacco shops): Appleton, Ashwaubenon, Baraboo, Beaver Dam, Beloit, Dane County, Eau Claire Florence County, Greenfield, Janesville, Jefferson County, Kenosha, La Crosse County, Madison, Middleton, Milwaukee, Neenah, Oak Creek, Onalaska, Oshkosh, Racine, Reedsburg, Watertown, Wausau, Wauwatosa.
Tobacco/Vapor 21 Law: Federal law passed December 20, 2019 prohibits sales of all tobacco and vapor products to anyone under the age of 21 years old. FDA stated law became effective on that date. States may choose to continue with current age law at the risk of losing federal funding.
Flavor Bans: Federal law prohibits the sale of closed system devices (pods, cartridges) containing e-liquid in flavors other than tobacco or menthol.
- Vapor products are taxed at 5¢ per mL (October 1, 2019.)5
- Smoke-free tobacco products are subject to a state excise tax of 71% of the manufacturer’s price.4
- 134.66 Restrictions on sale or gift of cigarettes or nicotine or tobacco products.
- 254.92 Purchase or possession of cigarettes or tobacco products by person under 18 prohibited
- Wikipedia – List of vaping bans in the US
- Sales Tax Handbook – Wisconsin Tobacco Excise Taxes
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel – Fewer people are smoking cigarettes, so state tax revenue is down. Now, Wisconsin will tax e-cigs.