State call to actioN
Spread the word!
Rhode Island – END a Flavor Ban!
06/27/21 – (SB 920) Scheduled for public hearing on June 29, 2021
05/20/21 – (SB 920) Introduced
03/08/21 – (HB 5548) Hearing, House HHS committee. [recommended measure be held for further study]
02/12/21 – (HB 5548) Introduced
H 5548/S 920 would repeal former Governor Gina Raimondo’s ban on sales of flavored vapor products, which has remained in place despite the resolution of the health scare prompting it.
H 5548 received a favorable committee hearing, this week, and needs to move to a vote on the floor of the House. In order to get this done, HHS Committee Chair, Representative Steven Casey needs to move the bill for a vote.
CASAA Supports H 5548 and S 920 with recommendations for future, corrective legislation regarding certain aspects of how Rhode Island currently regulates tobacco and nicotine products. Specifically, CASAA is opposed to criminalizing purchase, use, and possession of tobacco and nicotine products. We are also expressing concerns about the prohibition on the use of certain flavor descriptors. CASAA encourages our members to support H 5548/S 920 and repeal the deadly flavor ban enacted by the previous administration.
Follow the instructions below to share your comments and testimony in support of this bill with the S. Judiciary Committee.
Take Action Now!
Rhode Island residents are encouraged to contact the Senate Committee on Judiciary and SUPPORT SB920
Written testimony is encouraged and can be submitted to the committee by emailing it to: SenateJudiciary@rilegislature.
*DEADLINE* Written Testimony must be submitted prior to 2:00 PM on Tuesday, June 29, 2021, in order for it to be provided to the members of the committee at the hearing and to be included in the meeting records.
Members of the public can request to provide verbal testimony to the committee through the following link: VERBAL TESTIMONY
*DEADLINE* Requests to provide verbal testimony must be submitted by 4:00 PM on Monday, June 28, 2021.
- Tell committee members that you support removing the ban on flavored smoke-free products.
- Note any extra burdens you’ve experienced as a result of Gov. Raimondo’s flavor ban. (For example: Driving out of state to purchase vapor products, relying on unreliable sources for products, etc…)
- Share your story with switching to vapor products and include any health changes you’ve experienced as a result.
- Explain how flavors other than tobacco are important to your ability to quit smoking.
- Be brief, be kind, and say thank you 🙂